Wednesday, May 30, 2012

This Is Only a Test

I think our dog Cooper is testing my mothering skills.  Yesterday morning when I went to take him out he made this really deep coughing noise.  When my hubby and I came home for lunch, his cough had gotten worse.  So we decided he should see the vet.  I made an appointment for that afternoon for a vet in town (this is not our normal vet, actually it is like the 10th vet we've seen in the last two years, joys of moving).

I am of course running late leaving the office to pick up Cooper and take him to his appointment.  So I run home, grab Cooper out of his kennel, shove Derby back in the kennel and run out the door.  Derby was not a happy camper that he got left behind.

Cooper hates the vet, all vets, any vets.  He cowers and tries to hide behind me and does his best sad eyes.  So it is hard to tell what is him not feeling well and what is him being a wuss at the vet.  When we get to the vet Cooper is full on drooling all over the place and all over himself.  You could have mopped the floor when we left the exam room and Cooper's whole front shoulder was covered in drool.

It is also fun to try and explain to a vet the symptoms that your dog has, when of course as soon as you arrive at the vet he is no longer coughing.  Luckily, the vet was quick, and 30 minutes later we were out of there with two prescriptions.  The vet thought Cooper has a cold.

But as soon as we left, Cooper seemed to be getting worse.  He didn't want to get in the car, and then on the way home, he threw up in the back seat of my car (let me tell you how happy dog puke in the back of your new car makes you).  One the way home, I also find out my hubby is on his way to another town for work, so I get to handle this all by myself.

I get Cooper home and shove four pills down his throat, and try to make him comfortable in his bed in the middle of the living room.  Cooper is breathing really hard, like he has mucus in his airway.  All evening long I was trying to make him comfortable, and rubbing his belly.  I knew he didn't feel good, he hardly moved all night.

When we went to bed, I kept waking up every hour or so to check on him and make sure he was doing okay.  In the middle of the night he got up to drink water and then wanted out, so I took him out.  I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

In the morning Cooper was breathing normally again, but still didn't feel well.  I was torn between leaving him at home by himself and going to work, and staying home with him to check on him.  I ended up going to work, and when I came home at lunch he looked much better.  He was even wagging his tail.

He is still not 100%, but I think he is finally on the mend.  I could do with out these mothering tests.


  1. oh poor baby, and hopefully derby doesn't get it. I have had my share of doggie sickos it is not fun. Go home and snuggle your baby!

  2. Ahhhh, poor little Cooperpants!

    I just looked at the date of this post and it was like 2 weeks ago. This working OT and shit blows donkey pee-pee.