Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I Can Cook!

Despite what my family may say, I can cook.  They think I only like to stir, and while it was and still is my favorite kitchen activity, I can cook.  I just don't get to do it very often any more because will live in the hotel so much of the time.  So, when I get to go home to our big, beautiful kitchen, I can't wait to whip something up.

Last weekend I decided to try some of the recipes I have collected on Pinterest.com.  Now that I have said that, the first meal I made was not from a recipe.

I made some brussel sprouts. . .

And sliced and roasted sweet potatoes. . .

And to keep my hubby happy, steak! (I did not eat all of my steak)

Sunday morning I decided to do a little baking, and made Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins.  I am not sure of the actual nutritional information, but they have to be pretty healthy, they are mainly pumpkin and oatmeal.  And they used egg whites.


Sunday night I made Chili Rellenos Casserole.  I lightened it up a bit by using ground turkey, instead of beef.  It was okay, not the best thing ever, but not bad, and it was quick to throw together.

  
Monday, I made Avocado Chicken Salad.  I LOVE anything with avocado in it, or on it.  The chicken salad pretty much tasted like guacamole with chicken in it, but that was alright with me.  I would eat guacamole with a spoon if it was socially acceptable.    


In the past when I have wanted to loose weight I always was very meticulous about counting calories.  For the "Look Hot for Our Hunky Husbands" Challenge I have been just trying to eat healthier, unprocessed foods, and not counting calories as much.   I recently read the book Cooking Solves Everything by Mark Bittman.  He talks about how we all would be healthier if we just cooked our own food.  That way we know what is going into every meal.  And when we cook for ourselves we use much less butter, fat, sugar and salt then restaurants or prepackaged meals do.  

My goal going forward is to eat as little processed food as possible, eat more organic foods, and exercise on a regular basis.  While I hope I win the challenge, I will happy with just getting on a healthier lifestyle.  I think cooking more, and eating fewer processed foods will help me more in the long run then closely counting calories just for the next month to drop pounds quickly.

Laura, don't think for a second that I am slacking.  You are still going down! 

2 comments:

  1. omg, all that looks sooo deeeee-lish!

    The pumpkin oatmeal muffins might just have to happen in my house!

    ReplyDelete